- 88% of breaches fall into the nine patterns we first identified back in 2014.
- 95% of phishing attacks that led to a breach were followed by some sort of software installation.
- In the 2014 DBIR, ransomware was the 22nd most common form of malware. This year it’s number five, and the most common in the Crimeware pattern.
- The global median time from compromise to discovery has dropped significantly from 146 days in 2015 to 99 days 2016.
- Nation-states continue to set a high bar for sophisticated cyber attacks, but some financial threat actors have caught up to the point where we no longer see the line separating the two.
[Comment] Trends and more trends – I am a big fan of Verizon’s DBIR reports.